Monday, March 3, 2008

Lessons in Driving






It has always been my earnest desire to learn driving and be very good at it. It inspires me seeing women who are really good in driving because for me, it sends a strong message the she is able to empower herself (well, at least, in this respect).

Becoming a good defensive driver here in the Philippines is something that one could be truly proud of amid the congestion and the traffic situation in our roads, and worst, the lack of discipline of most of our drivers. Our roads are not for the spineless and the cowards. It has become a dangerous thoroughfare given the constant threat of reckless drivers and its substandard condition.

Notwithstanding these perils and the dehumanizing experience i had in my driving lesson last year (i happened to be coached by a heartless and asshole driving tutor who did not only insult me in the course of the tutorial, but worst, instilled so much phobia in me that i almost ended up giving up my craving to learn), i never succumb to fear but instead defied it. I never allowed that idiot tutor and my dreadful experience triumphed over my fervor not only to learn driving, but to liberate myself from fear, and not to limit myself of what I can do if I only set my mind and heart into it.

Now, i drive cautiously and confidently (may be not as professional as the likes of Judy Ann Santos who could slide, turn and twist a car or Gabby dela Merced's racing prowess). And I just feel empowered and gratified every time i reach my destination and come back home safe and sound. I take so much delight in knowing that the very thing i could not imagine doing before because of its inherently precarious and dangerous nature (i was even terrified to simply start a car despite my kuya's assurance that it will not run if you dont set it to the first gear, step the clutch and the accelerator) is now giving me a sense of fulfillment & self-awareness.

Driving taught me priceless and practical lessons in life. Foremost, your mind could limit your potential and your mind itself could unleash that potential. We are what we think of ourselves. If at the onset, we only limit ourselves and take comforts of what has become the routine of our existence and the security in doing things which we are already familiar, then we forego so much of what is out there--places to see, people to meet, hobbies to enjoy, skills to learn and develop, finding our spiritual self--discovering what inspires us, raises our consciousness, motivates us, and satisfies our soul.

Secondly, they say that what cannot kill you (or scare you) will only make you stronger.Driving has taught me this; that s/he who fears something only gives it power over him.But when we begin to conquer our fear, we would realize that fear is only a false evidence appearing real. Fear does exist only in our mind.

And finally, driving taught me the virtue of reciprocity. This virtue becomes more meaningful every time i hit the road and encounters gestures of road courtesy (of course, also discourtesies and i learned lessons from both) and mutual respect between and among drivers and pedestrians. Give and take at intersections, in limited parking spaces and narrow roads (i just hope that i am not getting some of the special treatments because i am a lady driver..he.he)

I guess the same thing goes in real life. Reciprocity (or the lack of it) could make or break a family, a friendship, a relationship, a team. In the roads, its observance or non-observance could mean loss of life or limbs, or destruction of property.

I know i have so much to go and learn in my driving. When i become exceptionally good, alvin and i will have adventure rides outside the city..will visit beaches & interesting places, dine in our favorite seafoods carinderia in Liloan, or by the weekend, go home to our farm: till the fruits of our labor, breathe fresh air, appreciate nature, experience real peace and serenity, and never missed a single day witnessing our children grow. What a life.

Indeed, driving taught me valuable insights in life and made me appreciate things that ultimately matters, and leading me to the real journey I am now trekking.


No comments: